Visiting Assistant Professor of Digital Journalism (2007-present) Mills College, Oakland, CA
Classes taught: Multimedia Journalism Lab (spring), The Digital Newsroom (summer), and Telling True Stories (fall), within the English Department.
- Guide students to develop and understand principles of news judgment and fairness, research, reporting, interviewing and writing on deadline.
- Teach students how to create a web-based digital portfolio to showcase their journalistic videos, podcasts, blogs and written stories.
- Help advise the student newspaper and web site.
Feature Writer (1999-2015) San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, CA
- Write long-form front-page profiles and narrative features for multiple sections of the newspaper.
- Produce award-winning investigative series: sex trafficking between Korea and San Francisco; a Bay Area medical rescue of a war-wounded Iraqi boy; the selling of daughters in Nepal.
- Write weekly profiles and features about entrepreneurs, artists, and humanitarians for the Arts & Entertainment section. Write travel stories.
- Write a monthly first-person essay, “In My Words.”
- Write a monthly “Honeybee Chronicles” beekeeping column about the San Francisco Chronicle rooftop hives.
Beekeeper (2010-present) San Francisco, CA
Maintain hives at Little City Gardens, an organic working farm in the outer Mission district of San Francisco. From 2010-2014, I managed two hives on the roof of the San Francisco Chronicle as an experiment in urban homesteading and to provide sanctuary to the disappearing honeybee.
- Mentor San Francisco Chronicle Home & Garden staff in apiculture.
- Assist SF State University entomologists studying colony collapse.
- Conduct weekly checks of the hives. Maintain equipment.
- Extract, harvest and bottle honey.
- Lead visitor tours of the hives.
- Maintain a monthly column in print and online about honeybees.
- Maintain Facebook page and Twitter account for Chronicle bees.
- Render wax into candles, lip balm and skin moisturizer.
Magazine Writer (2009 – present) San Francisco, CA
Write articles on rowing and health for Prevention magazine, and features on philanthropy and social change for Stanford Social Innovation Review magazine.
MFA Creative Nonfiction, Goucher College, Maryland 2011
BA Government, Journalism minor, Mills College, Oakland 1991